Wednesday 9 January 2008

Welcome

This is my new (indeed first!) blog.

I acquired my allotment in the middle of 2007 & had relative success with it, but ended up with a lot of failures and a glut of other products.

I hope in this blog to provide a frequent (ish!) seasonal vegetable recipe - not necessarily the veg I take from my plot, but mostly those

I would welcome any feedback, recipes, hints & tips that you feel may be informative to other readers.

To the first recipe - I have a number of Turnip / Swede still to lift, and came across this: -

Turnip Gratin

Ingredients
1 clove garlic
25g/1oz butter
350g/12oz crisp turnips, peeled thickly, sliced thinly, parboiled for 2 minutes and drained
salt and pepper
1 tsp dried herbs
50g/2oz thinly sliced pancetta ham, cut into a fine julienne
150ml/¼ pint double cream
Grated Cheddar Cheese to top off

Method
1. Rub two small ramekin dishes well with garlic, let it dry, butter generously.
2. Put the turnip slices in a saucepan, add the cream, herbs, ham and salt and pepper and simmer until very tender.
3. Spoon the turnip mixture into the ready prepared ramekins and grill in the oven until lightly brown on top - then add the cheese to cover until melted

A Word Of Warning

This is one of the recipes I haven't tried yet - any who does pelase let me know how you get on!

Now off to read the seed catalogues!

For an opportunity to get a great deal on Chinese recipes & methods - Click Here!

No comments: